Author Topic: Help with NHD 5.0" TFT Display (NHD-5.0-800480TF-ATXL#-T)  (Read 2152 times)

winsmen

• View Profile
Help with NHD 5.0" TFT Display (NHD-5.0-800480TF-ATXL#-T)
« on: March 23, 2016, 05:11:06 AM »
Hi!!

I am relatively new to displays and using them in custom designed systems. I have the NHD 5.0" display mentioned as the subject of this post and have been trying to get it to run, first at least with an Arduino and then later maybe step it up to some other controller after having understood the operation and requirements of the display. After going through the provided documentation and following it as far as possible, I still wasn't able to get the screen to even switch on. So to try and understand what I'm currently doing wrong with my setup, I'd like to clear a few doubts:

1. In the NHD-5.0-800480TF-ATXL#-T, is there a display driver provided in the display module itself, or do I have to connect the display to a display driver which would be controlled by my Arduino? The documentation says that the A in ATXL of the product code denotes that a driver (the OTA7001a in this model) is part of the display module. I physically cannot see any driver on the module or on its flexible PCB part either.

2. If there isn't a controller on the module, can I use any other display driver to run this display? I'm quite interested in making use of FTDI's FT800 for this as I was pretty comfortable with its documentation and thus feel it wouldn't be a very big hurdle for me to work with.

3. Is there any documentation showing sample circuits/setups of the display with the required electronics and other peripherals? The NHD Application Notes page does have a section with sample Arduino codes for various displays, including the one I'm working with, but they don't help clear any doubts in terms of hardware.

Any help that would get me to understand this display better would be highly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Saurabh_B

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Help with NHD 5.0" TFT Display (NHD-5.0-800480TF-ATXL#-T)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:05:44 AM »
Hi,

To use this display with an Arduino or another MPU that does not have a built-in TFT controller you would need to use an external controller.
I would recommend using this: NHD-5.0-800480TF-22 Controller Board

We do have example code to help you get started with this controller as well that can be found here: NHD-5.0-800480TF with Arduino.

For the touch panel you have two options.
1. You could use the Analog ports on the Arduino to make multiple reads between the touch panel lines.
2. Use an external RTP controller such as the following:

From the ones above you would need to use the ones that are compatible with 4-Wire Resistive touch panel. You would also need to decide how you would like to interface with the touch panel, whether you would like to use IC or SPI.

Blank Display on NHD‐C0220BiZ‐FS(RGB)‐FBW‐3VM

Started by SteveCBoard Character LCDs

Replies: 3
Views: 4540
Last post May 13, 2014, 12:04:36 AM
by SteveC
NHD‐C12864A1Z‐FSW‐FBW‐HTT display clears after draw

Started by EdAverillBoard Graphic LCDs

Replies: 6
Views: 5677
Last post November 07, 2014, 08:25:20 AM
by Michael_L
Arduino LCD library not working with newhaven display NHD‐0420H1Z‐FL‐GWB-3V3

Started by c2hollowBoard Character LCDs

Replies: 9
Views: 8776
Last post July 10, 2014, 08:46:06 AM
by Michael_L
Optical bonding Display to cover glass (dry film bonding)

Started by fourtraxBoard TFTs

Replies: 1
Views: 1089
Last post September 29, 2016, 08:35:00 AM
by Saurabh_B
NHD‐3.5‐320240MF‐ATXL#‐T‐1 Touch Signal

Started by jmasamotoBoard TFTs

Replies: 1
Views: 2093
Last post February 05, 2016, 08:05:40 AM
by Paul_B