Author Topic: OLED dark horizontal bands  (Read 2713 times)

erlopez

• View Profile
OLED dark horizontal bands
« on: May 08, 2015, 08:26:46 AM »
Hello,

I’m evaluating the NHD-1.69-160128UGC3 OLED display. I got it working and can draw pictures and graphics on it. I’m using the SPI interface.

I’m experiencing a series of dark horizontal bands that appear in the screen when something is moving (i.e. when animating graphics). These dark horizontal regions span left to right through the entire screen width.

I did not find anything like this in the forums - Is my unit defective? Is this normal for these OLED modules? Have you seen this before?

The picture below shows a vector balls animation; dark bands appear in regions where the animation (This is not a interlace effect due to screen refresh rate and the camera taking the picture; these dark bands can be seen with the naked eye); the background behind the animated balls is supposed to be solid blue.

Best Regards,
-Edwin
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:30:09 AM by erlopez »

Paul_B

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: OLED dark horizontal bands
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 02:14:30 PM »
Hello Edwin,

Thank you for reaching out, a quick way to verify is to move the location of the 'balls'. If the dark horizontal bands appear in the new location there is an issue with your code.

Please post the updated pictures once the changes have been made, we can then debug further  ;)

erlopez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »
Thanks for your reply Paul_B. I have identified the problem with the “dark bands” and I’m posting my findings here for documentation purposes; should anyone run into this problem in the future.

I narrowed down the issue to the values set in the SEPS525’s 0Bh, 0Ch, and 0Dh pre-charge current registers. I was using the values given in the Arduino example code from NHD. I played around until I found the values that worked for me (the SEPS525 datasheet is very vague about describing these registers). After tampering with these values, I found better color accuracy by using lower values that the ones given in the Arduino example. Lowering pre-charge current created better-contrasted images; however lowering them too much start making the colors in a photo look a bit off, for example “cyans” to start to look “greenish”. Bottom line: one has to play with these registers until one finds the right color temperature that works for the application.

The picture below describes the problem and solution for the “dark bands”, or better termed, contrast issues:

The following values did the trick for me:

Code: [Select]

oledWriteCommand( 0x0B ); // Set Pre-Charge Current of Red
  oledWriteData( 0x0A );
  oledWriteCommand( 0x07 ); // Set Pre-Charge Current of Green
  oledWriteData( 0x17 );
  oledWriteCommand( 0x0D ); // Set Pre-Charge Current of Blue
  oledWriteData( 0x02 );

Best Regards,
-Edwin

UPDATE:

After much tinkering; the "dark bands" are still appearing around bright objects moving over medium-to-dark colored backgrounds; adjusting the the pre-charge currents help reducing the "dark band" effect but the artifact is still visible.

Here is a video showing the problem - vector balls animation over a medium-dark blue background; observe the ghostly dark bands dancing over the solid background color (this is not a flicker/interlace artifact between the screen refresh rate and the camcorder - you can see these bands clearly with the naked eye)

http://www.lopezworks.info/darkbands-oled.wmv

I'm frustrated. Any comments are welcome.

-Edwin
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:35:04 PM by erlopez »

Paul_B

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 08:15:23 AM »
Hello Edwin,

Since these OLEDs are passive matrix displays unfortunately there will always be slight banding. You can reduce the effect by adjusting the registers like you previously stated.

16x2 OLED NHD-0216KZW-AY5 Intermittent, and perament vertical dots Brightness

Started by BenB2013Board OLEDs

Replies: 6
Views: 4682
Last post Today at 05:36:17 AM
by tolikkk
Display current of 128x64 yellow OLED (2.7-12864UMY3) really 175mA?

Started by flywheelBoard OLEDs

Replies: 4
Views: 3416
Last post Today at 07:00:48 AM
by tolikkk
Wiring between NHD-1.5128128ASC3ND OLED Display and NHDev 2.10 Development Board

Started by vcp88Board OLEDs

Replies: 2
Views: 2099
Last post Today at 12:43:55 AM
by tolikkk
NHD-0420DZW-AG5 OLED character module--Displaying junk data

Started by control3Board OLEDs

Replies: 5
Views: 1151
Last post Today at 06:03:16 AM
by tolikkk
Korean Hex GB code for OLED multi font display NHD-2.7-12864UMY3